Hey mamas, suffering from pregnancy heartburn? Surging hormones and a growing bub make heartburn a painful reality for many mamas to be.
During pregnancy your placenta produces progesterone which relaxes smooth muscle. Unfortunately it also relaxes the valve in your stomach that stops acid entering your oesophagus. This results in painful and uncomfortable heartburn!
In Chinese Medicine we view this is your Stomach Meridian 'rebelling' and ‘Qi’ moving upwards as your baby grows.
Read on for tips and tricks that might help ease the burn!
- Avoid spicy and greasy foods, plus chocolate, caffeine and citrus. We know, the good things in life!
- Eat smaller regular meals
- Avoid lying down for a couple of hours after eating.
- Ginger and Peppermint are used in Chinese Medicine to settle the stomach, try some fresh steeped in hot water to make a tea.
- While there are no official studies, anecdotal evidence suggests that apple cider vinegar or digestive enzymes may help with heartburn. Try a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in warm water and sip before meals.
- A warm milk drink before bed can help neutralise stomach acid
- Finally try some acupressure. Massage the point ST44 for 3-5 minutes. It is located on both feet in the web between your 2nd and 3rd toes. Can't reach because your bump’s in the way? Enlist help and get your partner involved.
At HQ we combine ancient wisdom and evidence based nutrition to help mamas on their journey through motherhood.